Here are some examples of 504 accommodations in Texas:
- Extended time on tests. This is a common accommodation for students with learning disabilities or attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
- Access to a quiet place to take tests. This accommodation can be helpful for students who are easily distracted or who have anxiety.
- Use of a computer or other assistive technology. This accommodation can be helpful for students with physical disabilities or who have difficulty writing.
- Modifications to the curriculum. This accommodation may be necessary for students who need to learn the material in a different way. For example, a student with dyslexia may need to have the material read to them or presented in a visual format.
- Changes to the classroom environment. This accommodation may include things like providing a student with a preferential seating location, reducing distractions, or allowing the student to take breaks as needed.
These are just a few examples of 504 accommodations. The specific accommodations that a student needs will depend on their individual needs and circumstances.
It is important to note that 504 accommodations are not the same as special education services. Special education services are designed for students with more significant disabilities, and they typically require more individualized planning and support. 504 accommodations are designed to help students with disabilities participate in school and achieve their academic goals, and they can be provided in the general education classroom.
If you believe that your child may need a 504 plan, you should contact your child’s school district. The school district will need to evaluate your child to determine if they qualify for a 504 plan. If your child qualifies, the school district will develop a 504 plan that outlines the accommodations that your child will need.
The 504 plan should be reviewed annually to make sure that it is still meeting your child’s needs. You should also contact the school district if your child’s needs change at any time.